Comité Nacional por la Libertad de los Cinco Cubanos

HOME  •  News Updates  •  Calendar  •  Resources  •  Store/Donations  •  Contact Us  •  HOME
Portada  •  Noticias  •  Calendario  •  Recursos  •  Tienda/Donaciones  •  Contáctenos  •  Portada


El Paso Diary: Day 28 in the Trial of Posada Carriles

Fabio's Friend

by José Pertierra
Mar. 16, 2011
Reprinted from CounterPunch

Although the Government only indicted Posada Carriles for lying, one of the lies is about a murder. Under oath, he denied being behind the killing in Havana of a 32-year-old Italian businessman named Fabio Di Celmo on September 4, 1997.

The jury in El Paso has already heard a medical examiner state that Di Celmo’s death was a homicide resulting from a bomb planted in the lobby of Havana’s Copacabana Hotel. The bomb hurled a piece of shrapnel that lodged in Di Celmo’s neck and severed his jugular vein. Today the jury will hear from an eyewitness.

The witness from Genoa

He said he was with his friend Fabio on September 4, 1997 and watched him die. Enrico Gollo is an Italian, born in Genoa, like Fabio.

Gollo is an elegant 45-year-old Italian. He has a meticulously trimmed beard and was dressed today in an expensively tailored brown suit and blue shirt open at the collar. “I live in Italy,” he told the jury through an interpreter. “I came voluntarily to El Paso to testify.”

He told the jurors that he met Di Celmo in the Pegli neighborhood of Genoa in northeastern Italy. “We were just 17 years old when we met,” said Gollo. Lowering his voice, Gollo added, “Fabio was my friend.”

Bad omens

Gollo testified that in August of 1997 he was on his honeymoon in Cuba with his then wife, Francesca Argeri.

Fabio’s father, Giustino, once told me in Havana that his son gave his friends Enrico and Francesca a honeymoon in Cuba as a wedding present.

Giustino recalled that Francesca sensed something terrible would happen. “Women’s intuition,” said the 90-year-old father to me. “She felt bad omens from the moment she got off the plane in Cuba,” said Giustino, “and she said so to Enrico and Fabio a number of times.”

Government attorney Timothy J. Reardon, III, conducted Enrico Gollo’s direct examination. He started by showing him two photographs and asked Gollo to identify them. “It’s Fabio Di Celmo,” said Gollo.

Reardon then asked that Gollo recall the events of September 4, 1997. Gollo said, “My ex-wife and I left the hotel at 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning to go do some shopping. We had tickets to leave that afternoon for Italy. I spoke with Fabio beforehand and we agreed to meet up in the lobby of the Hotel Copacabana to say our goodbyes. We entered the lobby at noon. Fabio was already there.”

I saw him dying

Reardon interrupted, “Was there an explosion?” Gollo said that 15 minutes after meeting Fabio in the hotel lobby, he felt “a huge explosion that left a very large amount of smoke” in the lobby. “My ears were ringing from the extremely loud noise and my ex-wife began to scream and cry. I instinctively threw my arms around her to be sure that she was all right.”

“Did you see Fabio?” asked the prosecutor. “Yes,” answered Gollo. “I saw Fabio thrown to the ground. He had a very visible wound in his neck and blood was rapidly pouring out of it.” The jury members listened attentively to the witness, some of them with their mouths open. None took notes.

The prosecutor then showed the witness another photograph. “It’s the lobby of the Hotel Copacabana after the explosion,” he said. Gollo pointed to where he, Fabio and Francesca had been standing. He also used an electronic pen on the monitor to circle the pool of blood for the jury.

“I saw him fall, all covered with blood,” he said. “Beside him there was a huge lake of blood,” he said with pain in his voice. “His eyes were open as he staggered beside me. But he shut them as he fell.”

Gollo told the jurors, “Two men took Fabio immediately to a clinic.” But “when he arrived at the clinic, a doctor came to see me and told me that Fabio had died on the way to the hospital.”

Giustino feels his son’s presence in Cuba

Fabio was born near Genoa on the Italian Riviera. His remains are buried nearby, in the small town of Arenzano. But according to his father, Fabio’s soul is alive in Cuba. “I’ve decided to live in Cuba, because I feel that Fabio is here. I feel him next to me here,” Giustino said to me last year over a cup of espresso at the restaurant that bears his son’s name.

The cross-examination

Posada Carriles’ attorney Felipe Millán stood and approached the podium to cross-examine Fabio’s friend. His questions were aimed at trying to establish that Fabio Di Celmo died due to a lack of immediate medical attention.

“Do you remember if anyone provided him first aid in the hotel?” asked Millán. “Yes, a person at the hotel,” answered Gollo. “You stated that someone took Fabio to the hospital in a private car. Wasn’t there an ambulance?” asked the defense attorney.

“There wasn’t time to wait for an ambulance,” answered the Italian witness. “Fabio would have died waiting for one. Even so, he died on the way to the clinic.”

The legal strategy for the defense team appears to rest on putting the blame for Di Celmo’s death on anyone except Posada Carriles. It doesn’t matter that there’s no evidence whatsoever to support such accusations.

During the past two months, I’ve heard the defense attorneys accuse the Cuban government, the U.S. government, the hospital, a future witness, the doctors—anybody but their client—of having killed Fabio Di Celmo.

What’s certain is that the only person to confess to being the mastermind of the sequence of bombings in Havana in 1997 is Luis Posada Carriles. Today he came to court dressed like a Cuban lollipop in a light green suit, an aqua-colored shirt and a bright pink tie.

Vaudevillian appearances aside, this is the man who confessed to the New York Times that he was responsible for Di Celmo’s death and in the same breath dismissed the murder by saying the Italian was “in the wrong place at the wrong time” and adding, “I sleep like a baby.”

The second battle over the Guatemalan passport

The jurors also heard the testimony of Guatemala’s Director of Immigration, Enrique Degenhart Asturias. “The President of the Republic appointed me to the post 18 months ago,” said Degenhart, a tall man with an oval face and a rosy complexion. Degenhart doesn’t look Guatemalan. His features attest to his German ancestry.

Prosecutor Jerome Teresinski conducted the direct examination. He wanted Degenhart to establish the authenticity of the Guatemalan passport bearing Posada Carriles’ picture and the name “Manuel Enrique Castillo López.”

Last month, Judge Kathleen Cardone refused to accept the Guatemalan passport as evidence, because “it lacks the authenticating seal from the Guatemalan government.”

Charges 10 and 11 of the indictment against Posada Carriles have to do with the false statements that he allegedly made when he denied using a Guatemalan passport under the name of Manuel Enrique Castillo López. Introducing the original passport as evidence is key to being able to prove the charges.

Teresinski did not delay. He showed the passport to Degenhart and asked him to identify it. “This is a legal Guatemalan passport,” the witness stated.

Hidden marks in the passport

“How do you know that the passport is authentic?” asked the prosecutor. Degenhart explained in detail the method that Guatemala uses to frustrate passport forgery. The pages of a Guatemalan passport, said Degenhart, include “two hidden marks. One is a picture of our national bird—the quetzal—and the other is the phrase República de Guatemala.” These concealed marks can be seen “if they are exposed to black light,” he said.

Degenhart approached the overhead projector, known as the Elmo, in the center of the courtroom and with the help of the black light exposed the concealed marks on Posada Carriles’ Guatemalan passport for the jurors.

The jurors appeared fascinated. The prosecutor made sure that they could pass the original passport around and examine it. While Degenhart testified, they examined the passport, looked at the photo and compared it with the face of the defendant sitting before them at counsel table.

“The hidden marks can be seen with black light throughout the entire passport,” stated Degenhart, and he showed the jurors how they could see them. With rapt attention, they watched Degenhart demonstrate the authentication procedure on their monitors.

This time the judge accepted the passport as evidence. In retrospect, perhaps if the judge had allowed it last month only in conjunction with the testimony of a U.S. Department of Homeland Security officer, the impact would not have been as great. As it is, the self-assured Enrique Degenhart left no doubt that the Guatemalan passport was authentic.

Degenhart also testified about the Mexican visa on page five of the Guatemalan passport. “The visa has the same name and the same photo of Posada Carriles as does the passport,” said Degenhart. “The stamp that you can see on page six shows that the bearer left Guatemala on March 11, 2005.” This is the date when Posada Carriles entered Mexico through Chetumal to rendezvous with his co-conspirators, who brought him illegally to Miami on the boat named “the Santrina.”

The cross-examination

Defense attorney Rhonda Anderson could not impeach Degenhart’s testimony, and he ended his testimony with a resounding legal setback for Posada Carriles, “An authentic passport officially issued by the Guatemalan government is what this is.”

The flag

Between the testimony from the Guatemalan and the Italian witnesses, Arturo Hernández cross-examined FBI Agent Omar Vega again, taking another stab at impeaching him. It didn’t work. Many of the questions made no sense. For example, defense counsel showed Agent Vega some photos of the Santrina cruising the waters and flying the Cuban flag.

Hernández: “You see the Cuban flag on the Santrina, isn’t that correct?”

Vega: “Yes, sir.”

Hernández: “It’s the flag of free Cuba, isn’t that true?”

Vega: “It’s just the Cuban flag.”

Hernández: “It doesn’t have the hammer and sickle, does it?”

Vega: “No.”

Perhaps on the Calle Ocho in Miami’s Little Havana somebody once told Posada Carriles’ attorney that the Cuban Revolution had imprinted the hammer and sickle on the Cuban flag. But anyone who’s set foot in the land of José Martí knows that the flag that flies above the Plaza de la Revolucíon in La Habana has cinco franjas y una estrella—just as it did in Martí’s time.

José Pertierra practices law in Washington, DC. He represents the government of Venezuela in the case to extradite Luis Posada Carriles.

Translated by Manuel Talens and Machetera. They are members of Tlaxcala, the international network of translators for linguistic diversity (



Diario de El Paso: El amigo de Fabio

por José Pertierra
8 de marzo de 2011
Tomado de CubaDebate

Marzo, 7 de 2011. El Paso, TX.- Aunque el gobierno de los Estados Unidos solamente lo acusa de mentiroso, la evidencia echa por tierra una de las mentiras de Luis Posada Carriles relacionada con el asesinato de Fabio Di Celmo, un italiano de 32 años, hijo de Giustino y de Ora. La fiscalía ha demostrado en El Paso que Di Celmo murió a causa de una explosión, en el lobby del Hotel Copacabana, que le cortó la yugular.


Hoy testificó Enrique Gollo, quien estaba junto a Fabio el 4 de septiembre de 1997 y lo vio morir. Gollo es italiano, nacido en Génova —igual que Fabio. Vino a explicarle al jurado qué ocurrió ese día.

Es un hombre elegante de 45 años. Tiene una barba recortada y viste un traje sastre con una camisa azul —de cuello italiano abierto. “Vivo en Italia”, le dijo al jurado con la ayuda de un intérprete. “Vine a testificar en El Paso voluntariamente”.

Gollo le explicó a los integrantes del jurado que conoció a Fabio en el barrio Pegli de la ciudad de Génova en el noroeste de Italia. “Tenía 17 años cuando nos conocimos”, dijo Gollo. “Fabio era mi amigo”, añadió.


Gollo había decidido ir a Cuba a mitad de agosto de 1997 de “Luna de Miel” con su esposa, Franchesca Argeri. No hace mucho el padre de Fabio Di Celmo, Giustino, me contó en La Habana que su hijo le había regalado el viaje a La Habana a sus amigos Enrico y Franchesca, y que la muchacha había tenido el presentimiento de que algo malo iba a pasar. “Ella sentía malos augurios desde que se bajó del avión en Cuba”, me contó Giustino, “y se lo dijo a Fabio varias veces”.

El fiscal Timothy J. Reardon III le mostró a Enrique dos fotografías y le pidió que las identificara.

El testigo inmediatamente lo hizo: “Es Fabio Di Celmo”. El fiscal Reardon le pidió que hiciera un recorrido de lo recuerda del 4 de septiembre de 1997. El Señor Gollo narró: “Mi ex esposa y yo salimos del hotel a eso de las 9 ó las 10 de la mañana para ir de compras. Teníamos pasaje para la tarde de ese día con destino a Italia. Conversé antes con Fabio y nos pusimos de acuerdo en encontrarnos en el lobby del Hotel Copacabana para despedirnos. Nosotros entramos al lobby al mediodía. Fabio ya estaba ahí”.


Reardon interrumpió la narración e interpuso una abrupta pregunta: “¿Ocurrió una explosión?” El Señor Gollo explicó que 15 minutos después de haberse encontrado con Fabio en el lobby del hotel, sintió “una fortísima explosión que dejó muchísimo humo” alrededor del lobby. “Mis oídos estaban silbando del ruido tan alto y mi ex esposa comenzó a gritar y a llorar”, le contó Gollo al jurado. “Instintivamente la abracé para estarseguro de que ella se encontraba bien”.

“¿Vio usted a Fabio?”, le preguntó el fiscal. “Sí”, respondió Gollo. “Vi a Fabio tambaleándose. Tenía una herida muy visible en el cuello y la sangre brotaba rápidamente”. Los integrantes del jurado escuchaban al testigo atentamente. Algunos con la boca abierta. Ninguno tomaba notas. Las palabras de Gollo los mantenía paralizados.

El fiscal le mostró al testigo una foto del lobby del Copacabana y Gollo señaló dónde había estado Fabio, Franchesca y él. También identificó el charco de sangre, que de todas formas se veía claramente en la fotografía.

“Lo vi caer, cubierto en sangre y cerró sus ojos”, dijo. “A su lado, había un gran lago de sangre”. El señor Gollo contó que “dos hombres llevaron a Fabio a una clínica inmediatamente”. Sin embargo, “cuando llegué a la clínica el médico me vino a ver y me dijo que Fabio había muerto camino al hospital”.


Fabio nació en la ribera de las flores, cerca de Génova, en la costa azul de Italia. Yace cerca de ahí, en la pequeña aldea de Arenzano, pero su alma vive en Cuba. Su padre, Giustino, me dijo en La Habana: “He decidido vivir en Cuba, porque siento que Fabio está aquí. Lo siento a mi lado”.


El abogado de Posada Carriles —Felipe Millán— se levantó y se acercó al podio para interrogar al amigo de Fabio. Sus preguntas iban dirigidas a demostrar que Fabio Di Celmo murió, debido a la falta de asistencia médica inmediata en La Habana.

“¿Recuerda usted si alguien le brindó asistencia médica en el hotel?”, preguntó Millán. “Sí, una persona en el hotel”, respondió el Señor Gollo. “Usted declaró que alguien trasladó a Fabio al hospital en un carro privado. ¿No había ambulancia?”, indagó el abogado defensor.

“No hubo tiempo para esperar una ambulancia”, contestó el testigo italiano. “Fabio hubiera muerto esperándola. Así y todo murió en ruta a la clínica”.

La estrategia legal del equipo defensor parece querer echarle la culpa de la muerte de Di Celmo a cualquiera, menos a Posada Carriles. No importa que no exista evidencia alguna que sostenga tales acusaciones.

Durante los últimos dos meses, he escuchado a los abogados defensores acusar al gobierno cubano, al estadounidense, al hospital, a un futuro testigo, al hospital, a los médicos, a cualquiera, menos a su cliente, de haber matado a Fabio Di Celmo.

Lo cierto es que el único que ha alardeado de ser el autor intelectual de la cadena de bombas en La Habana en 1997 es Luis Posada Carriles. Hoy llegó a la corte vestido como un pirulí, con un traje verde claro, camisa aguamarina y corbata rosa. El aspecto grotesco no hace menos dramática la realidad. Un año después del asesinato de Fabio Di Celmo, este mismo señor le confesó al New York Times ser el responsable de los atentados terroristas. Sobre la muerte de Fabio Di Celmo dijo simplemente que el italiano estaba “en el lugar equivocado en el momento equivocado”. Añadió: “Yo duermo como un bebé”.


Enrique Degenhart

Hoy también declaró en El Paso el Director de la Oficina de Inmigración de Guatemala, Enrique Degenhart Asturias. “El Presidente de la República me nombró para el puesto hace 18 meses”, declaró Degenhart, un hombre alto, bien parecido, de cara rojiza y ovalada. No tiene pinta de guatemalteco. Su rostro delata antepasados alemanes .

El fiscal Jerome Teresinski se encargó de hacerle el interrogatorio, cuyo propósito fue establecer que el pasaporte guatemalteco que porta la foto de Posada Carriles, pero lleva el nombre de Manuel Enrique Castillo López, es auténtico.

Recordemos que el mes pasado, la Jueza Kathleen Cardone se negó a aceptar la evidencia del pasaporte guatemalteco, porque “este carece del sello de autenticación del gobierno guatemalteco”.

Los cargos números 10 y 11 de la acusación contra Posada Carriles tienen que ver con las falsas declaraciones que hizo al negar haber utilizado el pasaporte guatemalteco con el nombre de Manuel Enrique Castillo López. Presentar como evidencia el pasaporte original es clave para poder probar los cargos.

Teresinski no dilató el asunto. Enseñó el pasaporte a Degenhart y le pidió que lo identificara. “Este es un pasaporte legal guatemalteco”, declaró el testigo.

El Pasaporte utilizado por Posada Carriles


“¿Cómo usted sabe que el pasaporte es auténtico?”, indagó el fiscal. Degenhart explicó detalladamente el método que utiliza Guatemala para frustrar a los falsificadores de pasaportes. Incluyen en sus páginas, dijo Degenhart, “dos marcas escondidas: una imagen de nuestro pájaro nacional —el quetzal— y la frase República de Guatemala”. Estas marcas escondidas pueden verse, declaró el testigo, “si son expuestas a una luz ultravioleta”.

Degenhart se le acercó al proyector de imágenes en el centro de la sala judicial y mostró las marcas escondidas en el pasaporte guatemalteco de Luis Posada Carriles.

Los integrantes del jurado estaban fascinados. El fiscal había compartido con ellos el documento original. Mientras testificaba Degenhart, ellos examinaban el pasaporte, miraban la foto y la comparaban con el acusado que tenían frente de ellos en la sala judicial. La imagen es igualita, porque la foto es de Luis Posada Carriles.

“Las marcas escondidas se encuentran con la luz ultravioleta a través de todo el pasaporte”, declaró Degenhart y le mostró a los integrantes del jurado cómo se podían ver. Observaban el experimento a través de las pantallas de sus monitores televisivos.

La jueza aceptó el pasaporte como evidencia. Quizás la defensa se equivocó el mes pasado al rechazar la autenticidad del pasaporte, porque la fiscalía encontró un testigo con presencia y confianza que ha demostrado sin ninguna duda que el pasaporte guatemalteco es autentico. Degenhart fue devastador para Posada Carriles.

Teresinski también quiso mostrarle al Director de Inmigración de Guatemala la visa mexicana que tiene el pasaporte en la página cinco. “La visa tiene el mismo nombre y la misma foto que el pasaporte”, dijo Degenhart. “El sello que ven en la página seis muestra que el portador salió de Guatemala el 11 de marzo de 2005”. Esa es la fecha en que Posada Carriles entró en México por Chetumal para encontrarse con los conspiradores, quienes lo llevaron ilegalmente a Miami a bordo el barco llamado el Santrina.


La abogado defensora, Rhonda Anderson, no pudo impugnar el testimonio de Degenhart y él concluyó su testimonio con un tajante revés legal para Posada Carriles: “Un pasaporte auténtico emitido oficialmente por el gobierno de Guatemala, eso es lo que es esto”.


Entre los testimonios del guatemalteco y del italiano, el abogado defensor interrogó nuevamente al agente del FBI Omar Vega, tratando de impugnar su competencia. No lo logró. Muchas de sus preguntas no tenían sentido. Por ejemplo, Arturo Hernández le enseñó unas fotos del Santrina al agente Vega. Se pasó muchísimo tiempo en eso hasta lograr que la jueza las aceptara como evidencia. Las fotos muestran al Santrina navegando con la bandera cubana.

Hernández: “Usted ve la bandera cubana en el Santrina, ¿no es cierto?”
Vega: “Sí, señor”.
Hernández: “Es la bandera de la Cuba libre, ¿no es cierto?”
Vega: “Es nada más que la bandera cubana.”
Hernández: “No tiene la hoz y el martillo, ¿cierto?”
Vega: “No”.

Quizás en la Calle Ocho de Miami alguien le dijo al abogado de Luis Posada Carriles que la Revolución le encasquetó la hoz y el martillo a la bandera cubana, pero el que ha pisado la tierra de Martí sabe que la bandera que vuela en la Plaza de la Revolución tiene cinco franjas y una estrella.

José Pertierra es abogado y tiene su bufete en Washington DC. Es el representante legal del gobierno de Venezuela para la extradición de Luis Posada Carriles.

  Next day's coverage / siguiente >>

HOME  •  News Updates  •  Calendar  •  Resources  •  Store/Donations  •  Contact Us  •  HOME
Portada  •  Noticias  •  Calendario  •  Recursos  •  Tienda/Donaciones  •  Contáctenos  •  Portada